Jan 15, 2011

Day 15: Conditioning: physical and spiritual

Without really trying, I have been losing weight. Over the past two weeks, I have consistently lost a pound per week, regardless of the amount I have eaten. I expect by the end of this fast I will have lost three pounds total. It's actually most noticeable in my wrists of all things, which have rid themselves of any flab and now have a toned look to them. Following Franklin's advice, I did not go on this fast to lose weight (but he did mention it would be a side effect), and apparently it is a good thing I did. Who wants to lose weight around their wrists? As I was reading First Timothy today, a verse caught my attention. "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." I was reminded that even though I may train, tone, exercise, and carefully care for my body, eventually I'll step out of it and all that hard work will deteriorate in a coffin. Such training is useful to me now, but spiritually conditioning will last even after I receive my new body. It is for these latter benefits that it is truly worth training.

No comments:

Post a Comment